Saturday, February 28, 2015

Blog Post #4

    I've completed reading Tocqueville. There are many things I personally enjoyed about this book from the intense drama to the vast amount of metaphors and literary devices used to help the author get his point across to readers. For example, in the very first poem that I read, "Lyric" Mattawa uses different types sounds and instruments commonly found in music as a way to demonstrate the trouble that takes place during 9/11. His approach is refreshing and acts as a great way to draw readers in. 
     Another poem that I enjoyed was "Terrorist" (p 17). Although I may have gotten the wrong interpretation, I enjoyed how raw it was, it failed to hold back on emotion giving readers to opportunity to try to feel everything the protagonist is feeling. 
Overall, I truly enjoyed reading Tocqueville. Even though I had a difficult time understanding a lot of it, I was still able to feel the tone and overall theme that Mattawa wanted to get across. It has also helped me with my poetry skills, guiding me in the right direction as far as what to look for in a good quality poem. 










































No comments:

Post a Comment